Thursday, September 20, 2012

We Survived the First Year!!

I got up early, took my time getting ready, kissed the kids and drove myself to the hospital. Visited with Mom, Dad, and Andy as the contractions picked up. Texted friends letting them know of my progress...5 cm...6.5...10 cm!! At 2:27 p.m. my life changed forever. Merritt Ashcraft burst into the world, weighing a whopping 9 pounds and 12 ounces. It was a great day. (sorry. I love this picture.) I can't believe it has been a whole year. Before she was here, I assumed and planned that Merritt would have to be the most easy-going baby. She certainly had other plans. Refluxy and sensitive to milk, she was not the peaceful sleeper that Lauren and Tucker were. She has to date slept ONE night all the way through. I had to buy stock in burp cloths. Having mostly progressed through the spit up, Merritt is still a demanding little dervish. Her voice can go from sweet and soft to take-charge-and-pay-attention in an instant. She is wary of strangers. She LOVES her brother and her sister. Merritt is now a confirmed and committed walker. She is a little copycat and loves to talk on the phone. In fact, she will turn any object into a phone. A true child of the 21st century, she only knows the computer as "the place to talk to Nanny and Granddaddy." We have had a fussy week at bedtime. Tonight, she took her first bottle of soy milk (bless her heart, she drank it cold) and passed right out. My last time to put down a sleeping (less-than-a-year) baby. I'm glad it was a good one. I love this girl. I absolutely cannot imagine life without her.

No comments: