Monday, March 31, 2014

New Day, New Diagnosis

Tonight, we watched the last episode of How I Met Your Mother. I have been watching it as long as Tucker has been alive. I feel like I have lost my friends. It really was a well-done show. Legendary.

Today, Andy and I met with a psychologist from The Sparks Clinic to discuss Lauren's recent evaluation. Lo and behold, we have almost completely new diagnoses since her last testing with the shitty in-town psych. Scratch NVLD (Non-Verbal Learning Disorder) and ADHD off the list!! Of course, we all remember that she was diagnosed with Central Auditory Processing Disorder in the fall, and as it turns out, a lot of the symptoms of that disorder could appear to be ADHD. (seeming inattentiveness, jumping from subject to subject, etc.). Her specific learning disability in math was again confirmed.

This doesn't change anything, really. Lauren is Lauren. The same as she was 24 hours ago. The same as she was before any diagnosis. We have a new list of resources and strategies to help Lauren to learn in the classroom. We will move forward and learn and hopefully be more patient and understanding and empathetic and HUMAN.

One thing I will say is that I am so glad we have an IEP (Individualized Education Plan). Since Lauren has had an IEP due to speech for her entire school career, I did not realize how difficult they could be to get. Basically, as I understand it, once you have one in place, it is fairly easy to add and change the plan. However, they can be a bitch to qualify for. Even in Lauren's case, even though she has been DIAGNOSED with a learning disability, she wouldn't necessarily qualify for an IEP (assistance and accommodations at school) without further testing (at whose expense?) because her score isn't far enough away from where it should be. That is a load of horse hockey.

What would we do if we were not fortunate enough to already have an IEP? Just accept that she can't learn math and potentially be held back in school?? This system is flawed.

Tomorrow, I will have my first full day at work after Spring Break. Sad. My brain hurts thinking about it.

And, finally, I have a Super-Exciting Yard Sale this weekend that I am getting pumped about. I will keep you posted.

Going now to finish reading Divergent before bed. Loved Reconstructing Amelia--finished it in one day to the detriment of my house and children.

Peace.

No comments: