Monday, April 22, 2013

Checking In, No Pictures

Alternate title: We Can Do Hard Things

Andy had knee surgery last Thursday. More involved than your run-of-the-mill torn meniscus. I have spent the last five days being Nurse Jane (not so) Fuzzy Wuzzy. He is on crutches with strict instructions to not bear weight on his right foot for FOUR WEEKS. I have had very tiny moments of panic, but right now panic is really not an option. This simply has to be done. I am the only one who can do it. Move one foot in front of the other. Lather, rinse, repeat. Each time I have felt the panic bubbling in my throat, I have stopped it, told myself "We Can Do Hard Things," and then did SOMETHING. Mopped the floor. Raked up some pine chips. Done the dishes. And the panic subsides. I am doing this.

Two things:
1-I have still had my moments. Not going to elaborate.
2-I always function at my best when I am behind the eight ball. Today, this moment, I feel like I am thriving. I am in control.
3-I love being in control. (Yes, that was three. It's my list.)

********

Today Lauren asked me what Merritt's first word was. Bless her third child heart, I cannot remember!! That is so sad, considering she is 19 months old, so we are talking about something that happened in the last 8 months or so. I really can't recall. I hope I wrote it down somewhere. (for the record, Lauren's first words were 'uh-oh' and 'Elmo.' Tucker's was 'ball.') Merritt is such a cute little dictator, though. She fell down three times this weekend and has the battle scars to prove it, including a good one on her right eye. She is getting so verbal and interactive and we are all having fun making her say words and animal sounds. In the past week, she has started saying "I don't know," which sounds like "Ni No Noooo?"

I'm off to oversee Andy's PT exercises.
Namaste. To me.

No comments: