Saturday, June 28, 2014

What the Hell, Pinterest?

This morning I decided to try my luck at a Pinterest recipe: the Egg in the Avocado. It looked delicious and sounded really easy. So, all you have to do is cut an avocado in half, crack an egg in each side, garnish as desired, and bake.

Actually...not too bad. My biggest recommendation is to use a LARGE avocado. I scooped out the inside a little to accommodate the egg, but still got lots of spillage:

(and really, the smell of trying to soak that caked-on egg is nasty)

I did sprinkle on some cheese halfway through the baking process (15, 20 minutes at 450? I lost count) Ultimately, that is how I decided it was done. Yum!


I decided that a little salsa would be good on top...oops! A little heavy-handed on that first pour. Oh well. Oh-and before I got to this point, I scooped the avocado halves out of their...shell(?).


And because I like a little crunch, I sprinkled tortilla chips on top.


Although I'm sure that the cheese and the chips took away from the nutritional value, whatever, it was still yummy.

*****

I have been thinking a lot lately about finding balance with social media. It has really gotten ridiculous. I love Instagram, I frequent Facebook, I have a nearly-abandoned Twitter account (I hardly tweet, I just go and read tweets when I'm bored). I also have a Linked-in account, but I *really* don't do anything there--I mean, you can't really stalk anyone when it tells them who is viewing their profile. Is Pinterest considered social media? I guess yes, since you can follow people and pin their pins, like their pins, etc. Facebook and Pinterest are my two biggest problems. These days, more often than not I find myself irritated as hell when I get on Facebook. A comment, something someone shared, whatever. Its all just such a fake pile of BS. And I am not the one to get into meaningful or argumentative dialogue on FB. Which means that I have a lot of pent-up aggravation. Ugh. I have thought more than a dozen times about shutting my account down, but they've got me hooked. I mean, how else can I keep up with that kid who moved away in middle school and we never heard from again...until Facebook. (And actually, that is a made up example, but still. For the most part, it is a collection of people who I don't keep up in real life...yet I feel the need to stay posted to their drama online.)

And Pinterest, sweet sweet Pinterest. How you make me hate my life. Everything is always so perfect and everyone has all of their shit together...why can't I? I even have a secret Pinterest board labeled, "Get Your Shit Together." It hasn't helped yet. My shit is very, very far from being together. I guess it is a nice ideal? Part of me wants to go live on a farm in the middle of nowhere and reset. Get rid of the things that are cluttering up my house and cluttering up my brain and truly focus on things that matter. Peace. But every now and again, there is a pin that actually inspires me to action (see the Amazing Avocado Egg, above) and that! That is how they keep me looped in. Its like a drug. I swear it off every morning, but by mid-day I'm back begging for more. What I need to know is how can I get into Transcendental Meditation in Tuscaloosa, Alabama? I think I will do a search on Pinterest. Ultimately, I'm just too chicken to stop cold turkey. (hahahahahaha. that made me laugh.) I can't walk away. Maybe I could do a trial separation?

But Instagram? Don't fuck with my Instagram. I love it and will not give it up. Anyone who reads this and doesn't have IG should sign up NOW. You know who you are.

No comments: